When did I start this project? I had to look it up: in June 2010 I made the center block that started this medallion (see this post about it). From that block I followed Anita's instructions and this quilt top grew and grew.
I hadn't worked on this project for almost a year, and when I pulled it out recently I felt I needed to go back to a border I had made a long time ago and change it. My feeling that this quilt was failing somehow came from the brownish grey of the squares in border 7. As soon as I put some other grey squares on top of the brown ones my feelings about the quilt changed.
I didn't want to take the quilt top apart so I machine appliqued the new squares on top of the old ones. First I cut squares from freezer paper, ironed these onto the fabric and then ironed the seam allowance to the back with the help of some starch. To make it easy to take everything to the sewing machine I temporarily glued the squares to the quilttop. I didn't want to get tangled in a mountain of quilt and pins!
Now it looks like this and I only have two or three borders to go.
It doesn't fit in a photo anymore, not in one I'm trying to take by myself at least. When it's finished it will be big enough for our double bed, I love that!