I started by taking a photo of my machine, because it's easier to see something in 2D on a photo than in real life. I made a drawing of the machine leaving out most of the details, focusing on the big lines.
After that I put thin see (and sew) through paper (pattern paper) over my drawing and started copying the lines with a ruler, keeping sewing logic in mind.
Now to make useable pattern pieces I needed to turn my ruler drawing over and copy the pattern in mirror image. I did this bit by bit, doing some of the sewing in between. I did some more simplifying as you can probably see, replacing the tiny buttons with 'sweet' text fabric.
Eventually I ended up with the finished block. I think it turned out rather cute. And a bit vintage looking even though it portrays a modern machine. The block finishes at about 10.5 inches square.