I finally finished the Ollalieberry Ice Cream Quilt for Damaris (excellent pattern by Alicia Paulson). Yayyyy!
(Thanks Frederik, for holding up the quilt)
I made the twin size, nice and big! I did two things different from the pattern: I wasn't able to machine quilt with my machine, so I tied the quilt with a knot of purple embroidery floss at ever intersection (that took a while...), and I attached the binding completely by machine. After tying all those knots I was not motivated to hand sew the binding on the back. So I stitched in the ditch next to where the binding was attached to the front while folding the binding around to the back. It worked great, on the front you can't tell I cheated this way, and on the back, well, that is the back... it certainly doesn't look bad, just not the same as the front. This was the best solution for me!
The label was made with freezer paper stenciling. And I did hand stitch that on!
I even dared to wash the quilt after finishing it. That was really scary, though... I added fabric softener (which I normally never use) and two color catcher cloths (I read about these somewhere on Flickr, and I thought I could use all the safety precautions I could find). After about two turns in the washing machine (I was sitting and watching in front of it almost the whole time...) the quilt spat out the first color catcher and tucked it in the place under the door where it can never get back in the wash cycle. About 5 minutes later the other one ended up there as well. I was getting a bit scared, but the water didn't look colored or anything like that so I took a deep breath, hoped for the best and let go...
It looked fine after washing and I put it in the dryer after that too, and that gave the desired effect: a bit of a wrinkle in the binding, and a very soft quilt!
I'm very proud of finishing this quilt. And Damaris loves it, which is the most important thing!
Our clematis started flowering one day after I took the quilt photos!